Monday, October 19, 2020

Old Herbs and Patent Medicines

Up until about a dozen years ago, I never really thought about these things.  I'd never seen the little boxes of herbs or the little packages of pills and oils.  It all started with a visit to a friend's house and seeing her collection.  That was it.  Now whenever I'm at a flea market or antique store, I have to look around. 
This past weekend, The Rosemary House was selling off a good portion of Bertha Reppert's collection, and I was all over that stuff!  Here's what I got (along with a few things I had before):
All of these packages are full.

American Saffron = Carthamus tinctorious (safflower), although true saffron is grown here in Lanc. PA

Bottle of Lydia Pinkham's Tonic.

Diverse, simple packages - all full.  Bet the orris is more fragrant than ever.

I love the turmeric tin, and the instructions inside the laxative box.  Lots of laxatives...

Helps are still available, but not in the tin.  The eye cup was my grandmother's.

I'm not sure what this was for, but the packaging sure made it look important.

And we thought Flintstones were the first candy-like vitamin...
It's pretty interesting to see these old things, and I'm looking forward to placing them behind the glass front on the shelves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment